Before it strikes midnight and the ball drops, I just wanted to reflect on this year. For me, even with all of the craziness that came into the world, this year wasn’t all that bad. I made a lot of good friends and got a lot of writing done. During the creative writing class I took last semester, I had to churn out a short story every other week for six weeks, and that really pushed me and my writing capabilities. I started this website and got serious about pursuing publication.
Even with all the good things that happened this year, this next year looks like it’s going to be even better! I’m going to be taking a novel writing class this spring while I attempt to finish rewriting the novel I’m currently working on, and for two months in the summer, I’m going to be studying abroad in Shanghai!
I want to pause and, before it’s officially the new year, make a list of goals that I want to accomplish over the next 365 days. I’ve never actually made a list of New Year’s Resolutions, but I think it’ll help me focus more.
- Read more books. Towards the end of the year, I realized that I was so busy reading assigned books for school and writing that I got away from reading for pleasure. I saw a cool reading challenge on Hope’s blog post that I want to try.
- Finish rewriting my novel. I’ve been working on rewriting the novel I finished for a few months now, and I really want to finish it.
- Start outlining the sequel. I’ve got some ideas, but I want to put them down on paper and flush them out more.
- Publish a short story in a magazine. I’m thinking the magazine at Pepperdine, but maybe I’ll try another one too.
- Try NaNo again. I’m aiming for Camp NaNo in July since November is right before finals and April IS finals.
- Keep up social media presence. Being active on Twitter and reading other writing blogs is helping me to see writing from new perspectives.
- Keep the grades up in school. ‘Nough said.
- Carry a conversation in Chinese in China. I want to be fluent in another language, and this would be so cool!
- Multi-class a character for Dungeons and Dragons. Circle of the Moon Druid for one side, still trying to figure out the other one.
- Work on a Dungeons and Dragons campaign of my own. I’ve always wanted to DM, but it takes a lot work, and I want to come up with a good original plot.
- Eat a Pizooki at BJ’s. I was too full last time. Not again!
What about you guys? What are your goals for the upcoming year? I’d love to hear about them!
Hope you all have a Happy New Year! I’ll update next year!